What Does Prophecy Look Like Today?

ALAYMAN

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score

Interesting article.

What are your thoughts in regards to the broader category of cessationism, and to the specific issue of prophecy still being active on a personal level (not relating to eschatology and/or the second coming)?

We have a more sure word of prophecy which is the scriptures handed down to the apostles and New Testament writers (1 Pet 1:19-21). The apostle Paul defines New Testament prophecy in 1 Corinthians 14:3 which is speaking unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. 1 Corinthians 14:4 says that he that prophesies edifies the church as opposed to those in the Corinthian church who were edifying themselves by abusing the gift of tongues 1 Corinthians 14:12, 24-25.

Last edited:

Interesting article.

What are your thoughts in regards to the broader category of cessationism, and to the specific issue of prophecy still being active on a personal level (not relating to eschatology and/or the second coming)?
Prophecy today is the extraordinary insight into the will and mind of God, that is, the Scriptures, and applying them to the edification, exortation and comfort of the church, as was said above. The skillful use of the Scriptures reveals the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12) primarily to its own individual, who comes under conviction of the Holy Spirit, and falls on his face and reports that God is truly among you. (1 Corinthians 14:25).

That is the usual operation of the gift of prophecy.

The isolated and extraordinary events described in the article are, if true, just that. Isolated incidents, and not the operation of a gift.

The offices of Apostle and Prophet are no longer in operation...well, they are, because Paul and Peter and John, et al, still instruct the church through their writing, but they have no successors. Maybe that's a better way to say it...the offices of Apostle and Prophet have no present day successors. The church is built on the foundation they laid. Today we have Evangelists (missionaries/church planters), Pastors and Teachers.

Strictly speaking, I'm not a cessationist, as I hold out the theoretical possibility that the miraculous gifts might still be exercised. I am, however, highly skeptical of miracle claims from Pentecostals and charismatics. I'm operationally a cessationist, if not theologically one.

Seems to me that what we ought to call "prophetic" today is speaking the word of God from the Scriptures authoritatively, such that we can hear that it is God speaking and not just the opinions of men. I'm open to the possibility that God might give someone specific instructions for a particular situation (e.g. to go to a particular place and meet with someone who is there), though in general I would call that providential as much as I would prophetic. Such claims should probably be evaluated much as we would anyone saying they feel the Holy Spirit is leading them to this or that. How canwwe know it's the Holy Spirit and not just you?

Claims of new special revelation, on the other hand, are deserving of extra skepticism.

Strictly speaking, I'm not a cessationist, as I hold out the theoretical possibility that the miraculous gifts might still be exercised. I am, however, highly skeptical of miracle claims from Pentecostals and charismatics. I'm operationally a cessationist, if not theologically one.

Seems to me that what we ought to call "prophetic" today is speaking the word of God from the Scriptures authoritatively, such that we can hear that it is God speaking and not just the opinions of men. I'm open to the possibility that God might give someone specific instructions for a particular situation (e.g. to go to a particular place and meet with someone who is there), though in general I would call that providential as much as I would prophetic. Such claims should probably be evaluated much as we would anyone saying they feel the Holy Spirit is leading them to this or that. How canwwe know it's the Holy Spirit and not just you?

Claims of new special revelation, on the other hand, are deserving of extra skepticism.

Pretty much where I'm at too. I think the danger in the attitude of the OP link is that we often want to do what Gideon did and put out a fleece, tempting God to do parlor tricks at our bidding, as it were. Sometimes living by faith is hard when we don't feel like we're hearing from God in ways we'd like or in ways that we expect.

If you reject the notion that the apostolic office is extant today, and that one is able to speak prohetically and canonically, then you are a cessationist.

God is still the healer and he does heal. He can also communicate supernaturally across language barriers whenever he so desires. One may also have deep spiritual insight regarding what lies ahead but no one has the gift of healing whereby one can just walk up to someone, lay their hands on them and see them miraculously and instantly healed. No one can purposely and deliberately speak in a foreign language that they do not normally understand or have learned, and no one can stand up and say "I have a word from the LORD" and actually mean it.

You may hold onto your cessationist card! You are welcome!;)

If you reject the notion that the apostolic office is extant today, and that one is able to speak prohetically and canonically, then you are a cessationist.

That's reductionistic. There are other supernatural gifts catalogued in the New Testament (e.g. tongues, healing), which a cessationist would also say have ceased.

If we can imagine God flipping a switch in heaven and turning off sign gifts such as prophecy, tongues or healing, then the apostolic office isn't one of those. By definition an apostle was someone who was part of Jesus's earthly ministry and chosen to lead the early church. It's not that God "turned off" the apostolic gift; it's that the necessary conditions (i.e. a first-century itinerant ministry) no longer obtain. Not the same thing.

One may also have deep spiritual insight regarding what lies ahead but no one has the gift of healing whereby one can just walk up to someone, lay their hands on them and see them miraculously and instantly healed. No one can purposely and deliberately speak in a foreign language that they do not normally understand or have learned, and no one can stand up and say "I have a word from the LORD" and actually mean it.

But the fact remains there's no authoritative declaration in Scripture that those gifts would end. It's just a historical fact that they faded out on in the primitive church. Hence my belief in their theoretical possibility, even if we don't see such things openly happening in the world right now.

I think I lean towards that view especially after reading about Baptists in American history centuries ago who appeared to have a prophetic gift. No speaking in tongues though. My view of tongues is not about when it's for but who it's for - Jews who seek a sign. These days, though, with all the language learning apps it wouldn't impress anyone especially not a stranger if someone spoke another language. Of course Charismatics get around it by only speaking an "angelic" language if indeed there is a distinct angelic language.